It is one of the latest fitness trends. Far from the noise and music of the gyms, exercising outdoors helps you not only burn calories, but also relieve stress.
More and more people choose open spaces for physical activity nowadays. A plaza, a park, or the river bank, are much more tempting places to exercise compared to being in a closed gym where the loud music and noise can be uncomfortable.
Work out and relax
Contact with nature helps relax and reduce stress. It also facilitates concentration and following an exercise routine, while this is something that can be hard if we do our workout at home, where many interruptions can arise, such as the phone or the doorbell ringing. It's also easy to get distracted at the gym, especially if we see someone we know and start talking instead of following our routine. Here is another benefit of exercising outdoors: if so far we've avoided going to the gym because we're shy or don't feel like going every afternoon to a crowded place, the park seems like a great idea!
If this sounds appealing to you, here are some tips:
- Choose the place: Go to a place that isn't next to a street or road, so you don't get distracted by the traffic or pedestrians. Choose the nearest park. Even if there’s a nicer place far from your home, always go for the nearest option.
- Prepare a handbag or backpack with everything you'll need and keep it handy: An exercise mat, some weights, an elastic band, a bottle with water, and a towel is all you need. You can also add other elements such as step aerobics equipment, an aerodynamic sphere, an exercise bar, etc.
- Think of alternative ways of exercising when it snows, rains, or is excessively hot outside. One of the disadvantages of working out outdoors is that when the weather isn't good, you might feel tempted to stay in bed or go have an abundant meal instead of exercising. Look for a closed place to exercise on the days you can't go to the park or plaza. Try not to interrupt your routine. It could be your own house or building, if you can find a place where you won't be interrupted.
- Begin your exercise routine by getting in touch with nature. Lying or sitting on a mat, close your eyes and hear the birds singing and the sound of the wind; feel the warmth of the sun. Then, open your eyes and look around you.
- Prepare your mp3 with the right music. Choose energizing songs with plenty of rhythm and make a "workout playlist." This way, you'll enjoy your exercise routine while listening to your favorite songs.
- Choose an exercise routine and increase the amount of exercise each week: Among the best outdoor exercises are:
- Push ups or chest presses
- Lifting weights
- Arm pull-ups (at places with exercise equipment)
Professor Albert Maier Outdoor Exercise Specialist
"Top 7 outdoor exercises” published in www.bodybuildingforyou.com /
© 2016 HolaDoctor