Breakfast is the most important meal of the day. But it may also
be the one that makes us start the day off with an excess of
calories. If you’re a person who loves traditional American
breakfasts, it’s time for you to learn about the calorie value of
these popular recipes! You might realize this is why you haven’t
lost weight yet!
1. Burritos:Each restaurant has its own recipe, but usually fast food chains prepare delicious burritos with tons of calories. Among their ingredients are tortillas, rice, beans, cheese, sour cream, and sauces.
Calories: 900 or more
How to cut-down the calories? Ask for you burrito with no cheese or sour cream. Or make yourself a 266-calorie egg quesadilla.
2. Starbucks White Mocha Coffee:Includes white mocha—a blend of coffee and chocolate—espresso, steamed milk, and whipped cream.
Although its flavor is irresistible, chocolate and cream make it a beverage with too many calories to start the day. In fact, 26% of its content is fat and 18% is cholesterol.
Calories: the extra large presentation, called Venti (20 oz or 560 grams) has 410 calories, while the large one (12 oz or 340 grams) has 270.
How to cut-down the calories? Order it with skim milk and without sour cream.
Learn about the calories in your favorite type of coffee!
3. Butter Croissant:Classic of French bakeries, the famous croissants can bring a “European” touch to your breakfast. But they can also provide too many calories. Especially because it’s difficut toe at only one, and we usually end up eating two or three (620 and 930 calories, respectively).
Calories: 310 each
How to cut-down the calories? Eat something else… For example, a banana and oatmeal muffin, with only 116 calories.
4. Chocolate Cookies:Chocolate chip cookies are a favorite of most children… and of many adults. The recipe is very simple: flour, sugar, and chocolate are their main ingredients. And those are precisely the ingredients that make these cookies one of the most fattening.
How to cut-down the calories? Instead of having a cookie, choose an English muffin. It has between 90 and 160 calories. You can also have some delicious oatmeal cookies.
5. Donuts:Same as with croissants, the problema
with donuts is that they not only have lots of calories, but it is
also difficult to stop and eat just one. Therefore, breakfast ends
adding up 700 to 1000 calories.
Calories: 340 (chocolate and coconut donut, Dunkin’ Donuts).
How to cut-down the calories? Instead of having a donut, eat a medium bagel (2.5 oz or 71 grams). It has 182 calories.
6. Granola:Except for the home-version, comercial granola (such as Quaker), which comes with honey, oats, and raisins, has plenty of calories. It usually has a lot of sugar and coconut oil.
Calories: 420 (one cup)
How to cut-down the calories? Prepare your own almond granola. Each serving has 250 calories.
7. Hotcakes:In this case, the calories in the
hotcakes are actually the less important. It’s the filling and the
rest of additives what make them a forbidden food in a diet plan.
For example, a hotcake with caramelized bananas and nuts can reach
up to 1500 calories and 77 grams of fat.
Calories: Between 1000 and 2000.
How to cut-down the calories? Accompany your hotcakes with low fat cheese and fresh fruit.
8. Hash Browns:The combination of potatoes and oil is never a good idea for those who are following a diet. Even worse, these potatoes usually accompany a main breakfast dish, so they only exceed the recommended calories for the first meal of the day. In addition, they contain plenty of fat and sodium.
Calories: 620 (Burger King)
How to cut-down calories? Choose yogurt or whole wheat toasts as a side dish.
9. Scrambled eggs with sausage, pancakes, and bacon:If this breakfast had a single egg, half sausage, and no bacon, maybe the calorie count would be different. But the truth is it usually brings two eggs, two hotcakes, two sausages, and two slices of bacon…and sometimes even more! There’s no need to explain why this breakfast choice is high in fat and carbohydrates.
Calories: 795 (Denny´s Original Grand Slam Breakfast)
How to cut-down calories? If it’s a local fast food restaurant, maybe you can ask for an omelet made of egg whites, low fat cream cheese, and ham. If you’re cooking at home, enjoy these Ranchero Eggs!
10. Grilled filet with eggs and potatoes:Meat and eggs make this breakfast only for those who don’t have any digestive problems, since it can be very heavy. Besides, it has a high content of fat, cholesterol, and sodium.
Calories: a 16-oz serving (454 grams) has 780 calories.
How to cut-down calories? Replace the eggs and potatoes with vegetables, like carrots and spinaches, or you can make a different breakfast preparing Stuffed Eggs with Vegetables, with only 100 calories.
If you’re used to starting your day with one of these choices, you might find it difficult getting used to another kind of breakfast. However, once you give it a try, you’ll realize how much lighter and more active you will be.
© 2016 HolaDoctor