Choosing a snack to tide us over between meals shouldn't be a difficult endeavor, but sometimes we feel that we've just run out of creativity and ideas. Eating the same old granola bar or pack of cookies can get boring.
Here are some ideas for healthy, practical and easy-to-prepare snacks so snack time won't catch you off guard or turn into a wearisome routine.
- Flavor carrot and celery sticks with lemon and salt or dunk them in a low-fat yogurt dip.
- Make your own trail mix. Mix together different types of nuts such as peanuts or walnuts. However, keep in mind that nuts contain a high calorie concentration.One portion is equal to 1/4 cup.
- Whip up a delicious smoothie with your favorite fruit. Combine low-fat yogurt, fresh fruit and ice. Blend it all together, refrigerate for a couple of hours then serve and enjoy a refreshing smoothie.
- Whole-grain crackers or soda crackers are an excellent choice, but make sure they contain between 70 and 90 calories per serving size. Also, check the label to see how big a serving size is. You may find that in a packet of 4 crackers, 1 serving size is equal to 2 crackers. Try putting fresh salsa on the crackers.
- Turkey ham and cheese rolls are a tasty alternative: just cut a couple of slices of turkey ham in half and do the same with 2 slices of low-fat cheese. Place one piece of cheese on each turkey ham half and roll up. Use a toothpick to hold the rolls together. Another variation is to use flour tortillas filling them with ham and cheese, or even create your own "sushi" stuffed with cucumber, celery and/or carrot slices.
- Light gelatin is always a good choice when you're craving a snack; however, you don't want to satisfy that craving with a high-calorie snack which will leave you feeling guilty afterwards.
Use your imagination to create your own snacks. Don't be afraid to experiment with different blends of tastes and colors. Just remember to control your serving sizes and opt for fruit, vegetables and low-fat products. The nutrition counselors at MyDiet™ can give you more snack ideas that will help you reach your health and weight goals.
© 2016 HolaDoctor