You've made the resolution of sticking to your diet during the holidays, but now you're worried about missing all the fun? Well, we've got good news for you! During the holidays, you can raise a toast with your family and friends without breaking your diet. By following these recommendations, you'll be able to enjoy a delicious and fun holiday toast.
Alcoholic drinks are high in calories, so it’s necessary to take them in moderation. One gram of alcohol contains 7 calories, and one serving of an alcoholic beverage is about the same as two servings of fat. Take a look at this:
- One serving of an alcoholic drink means:
- 6 ounces of red or white wine
- 6 ounces of champagne
- 12 ounces of regular beer
- 1 ounce of any distilled liquor (rum, whiskey, vodka, tequila, cognac, amaretto).
- Each serving has about 150 calories, and maybe more, depending on the mixer we use (water, carbonated water, diet soda, regular soda, fruit juices).
- Prepared cocktails, such as margaritas, daiquiris, and pina coladas, can have between 500 and 800 calories. Stay away from them!
- If you'd like to have a drink at night, make sure to cut down on fat during the rest of the day.
- Have a healthy, light snack before you go to the party. This way, your stomach won't be empty, and you'll be able to drink in moderation.
- Don't gulp your drink. Take only small sips so it lasts longer.
- Use a small glass for wine or fill your glass with ice if you choose another type of drink.
- Set a one-serving limit and try to choose among the following options: light beer, white wine, red wine, champagne, or whiskey (with water). After having this drink, switch to one of these choices for the rest of the party:
Fun, low-calorie drinks* :
- 1/2 glass orange juice with 1/2 glass carbonated water.
- 1/2 glass cranberry juice with 1/2 glass of diet lemon soda.
- 1/2 glass diet apple juice with 1/2 glass carbonated water.
- 1 glass tonic water with some lime juice drops.
- 1 glass diet coke with some lime juice drops.
- 1/2 glass skim milk with tons of ice and 2 cherries.
- 1/2 glass skim milk with 1/4 glass coffee and ice.
- 1/2 glass iced tea with 1/2 glass carbonated water and a few drops of orange juice.
- 1 glass tomato juice with lemon juice, pepper, and a celery stick.
*These drinks contain around 40 calories or less.
© 2017 HolaDoctor