Have you ever been ashamed by your bad breath? Have you
spent a fortune in products to freshen your breath? You're not the
only one! Bad breath has been everyone's enemy at some point. The
good news is, by identifying its actual cause, we can get rid of
Halitosis, or bad breath, can be prevented through an adequate oral hygiene. Experts recommend: brushing your teeth two or three times a day (right after each meal), cleaning your tongue every time you brush your teeth, and using dental floss at least once a day.
Causes of bad breath:
1. Food: Food particles that stay between your teeth after eating may cause bad breath. Solution »Brush your teeth right after each meal. You can also use a mouthwash.
2. Volatile oils: Some foods, like onions, garlic, and spices, have very strong oils that become gases when they are absorbed. These gases get to your lungs and are later expired through your breath. Solution »Don't eat these foods at least 3 days before any special occasion.
3. Dental problems: Having a defficient oral hygiene or gum disease produces bacteria and, consequently, bad breath. Solution »Visit your dentist at least every 6 months.
4. Dry mouth: The role of saliva is to clean and humidify your mouth. If there isn't enough saliva, dead cells remain on your tongue, thus producing bad breath. Solution » Drink enough fluids every day.
5. Diseases: Bad breath can be a symptom of different throat, nose, lung, kidney, or liver diseases. Solution »Get a medical check up if you have other symptoms combined with bad breath.
6. Tobacco: These substances induce oral dryness, which produce bad breath. Moreover, smokers are more likely to suffer from gum disease and tooth decay. Solution »Avoid cigarettes and other forms of tobacco.
7. Diet: People who follow very restrictive diets can get bad breath because of ketones (substances produced by the body as a result of fasting). Solution »Eat every 3 to 4 hours.
If you don't notice any improvement after following these recommendations, consult your dentist to determine the cause of your problem and to find the most appropriate solution.
© 2017 HolaDoctor