Your body image is the way you perceive your body. However, it goes beyond physical appearance: it involves feelings, surroundings, and phsycology too.
Studies show that 57% of women in the Western world are dissatisfied with their body image. Weight problems don't have such a strong impact in men as they do in women. The pressure to look good and have a slim body is more intense for females.
The stereotype of how the ideal woman should look in order to be fashionable or accepted by society is an immense pressure for many women who can't meet those requirements.
What's interesting is that women who weigh more have lower self-esteem and a more distorted body image.
If you have this problem, experts recommend you make some changes to your way of seing things and stay positive. Start by changing "I can't" with "I can".
This involves a step by step process in which you gradually change how you feel about yourself, until you learn to be more confident.
How to Boost Your Self-Esteem
A high self-esteem will help you feel good about yourself and your loved ones. You will have better relationships with people and be able to take on new challenges without fearing failure. Below are some tips to help you boost your self-esteem.
1. Be your best friend. Treat yourself as you would treat your best friend. If your best friend were to say "I look horrible," you would probably answer: "Of course you don't!". Look at what beautiful eyes and skin you have; look at your exceptionally attractive legs, and so on. Concentrate on your strengths and not on your weaknesses and you will feel motivated.
2. Accept your strenghts and weaknesses. Learn to recognize your strenghts and weaknesses, so you can highlight what you like about yourself and work on improving what you like least.
3. Set realistic goals.This is the foundation of your motivation. As you gradually achieve your goals, you will feel better about yourself.
4. Listen to your thoughts and feelings. In order to substitute "I can't" for "I can", you need to learn to recognize what types of thoughts and feelings you experience, and then find the best way to change them for the better.
5. Have a positive attitude. Try to focus on positive instead of negative aspects and not only with regards to yourself, but also to the people and situations around you. Being positive will become a habit that will help you become a happier person.
6. Reward yourself for your achievements. Every time you achieve something, give yourself a pat on the back. Call your best friend and share your success or buy yourself something nice. You deserve it!
© 2017 HolaDoctor